Randall Doctor is in his 30th year as a national insurance regulatory lawyer and an insurance compliance lawyer.
With particular experience in matters involving California insurance law and the California Department of Insurance, he spent 26 years with the insurance boutique law firm, Barger & Wolen, with 15 years as the Chair of its Insurance Regulatory and Compliance Practice Group in its San Francisco office.
Mr. Doctor represents more than 100 life/health and property/casualty insurers and insurance-related entities (reinsurance companies, insurance agencies and brokers, administrators, life settlement and viatical companies, home protection and warranty providers and motor clubs) on all types of transactional, regulatory and compliance matters including entity formation, licensing, holding company act filings, mergers & acquisitions, reinsurance transactions, captive insurance issues, product development, policy form filings and rate filings (including Proposition 103 issues).
Mr. Doctor also regularly advises insurance companies and other regulated entities with respect to compliance issues (including commission and rebating issues), financial and market conduct examinations, sales practices (including multi-state examinations) and administrative actions. Mr. Doctor regularly appears before the California Department of Insurance and other state Departments of Insurance across the United States.
In recent years, Mr. Doctor has represented many tech companies, internet companies and start-ups whose business touches insurance. Such companies need counsel in how to deal with insurance regulatory laws to ensure they don't stray into conduct where licenses are required. Mr. Doctor also assists such companies to create and license a subsidiary, where strategic, and to assist in contract drafting and compensation arrangements.
Mr. Doctor also represents banks and other financial institutions and general businesses with respect to their sale of insurance products and/or their alliances with insurance related entities.
Mr. Doctor is a frequent speaker at insurance industry conferences, including meetings of the Association of Life Insurance Counsel, the Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals, ALI-ABA, the Insured Retirement Institute and the National Association for Fixed Annuities.
Mr. Doctor was recently the President of the Western Chapter of the Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) and was also the Co-Chairman of the AICP's Government Relations Committee.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1987
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., Economics-Business, 1984
California Insurance Laws Drafted
- California Department of Insurance Bulletins 95-2 and 97-2, which relate to variable product filings (worked with Department to create and revise)
- California Insurance Code Section 881.2 (relating to insurer names)
- California Insurance Code Section 10506.5 (authorized Guaranteed Living Benefits in California)
- California Department of Insurance Bulletin 2000-3 (supplements Section 10506.5)
Publications and Articles
- Book Author - Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Chapter 15 Regulation of Insurance Intermediaries (LexisNexis 2009)
- Article Author - Unearthing the Evidence – Undocumented Reinsurance, The Review (Apr. 2005)
- Article Author - California Becomes First State to Implement Legislation Regulating Guaranteed Living Benefits, Outlook: National Association for Variable Annuities (Nov./Dec. 2000)
- Article Author - California Department Substantially Reduces Its Regulation of Variable Insurance Products, Outlook: National Association for Variable Annuities (Mar. 1997)
- Book Author - Life Insurance in Partnerships and Close Corporations, Chapter 12 Business and Insurance & Practice Code (Matthew Bender 1991)
- The State Bar of California
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (was President of Western Region Chapter)
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- Association of California Life and Health Insurance Companies
- Insured Retirement Institute
- Conference of Insurance Counsel